Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pasta Salad

This is my basic pasta salad recipe.  You can change up the meat, cheese, veggies, and dressing to make it anything you like.  I stick to this basic combination most of the time.  This is a great basic meal on a budget.  And as an added bonus, it is very kid friendly.  My kids love being able to pick out each individual piece.  I do use both green and red peppers if the price is right.  If red peppers are really expensive, I'll just double the amount of green peppers and not use the red.

Pasta Salad
Serves 6

1 pound rotini
1 small summer sausage roll (about 8 ounces), cubed
4 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
1/2 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1 cup Italian salad dressing (more or less to taste)

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and rinse in cold water.

Meanwhile, chop remaining ingredients (except dressing) and combine in a large bowl.  When cool and well-drained, add pasta.  Add salad dressing to taste.  Toss well.


*I always have more peppers, tomatoes, and olives than I can use.  Chop the remaining veggies for a salad another time or use in a different recipe.  One ingredient, multiple recipes.  You can save money and decrease waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment