Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pork Medallions with Maple-Glazed Apples

This recipe is really easy, but also really popular with my family.  Not only will my kids eat it, but my super-picky sister will eat it, too.  And sometimes it's harder to get her to try something than it is with my older son.


Pork Medallions with Maple-Glazed Apples
Serves 4

4 baking apples (Granny Smith, Gala, etc.  Pink Lady is my favorite), peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 pork tenderloin, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch thick slices
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2-3 tablespoons canola oil (can use olive oil if you prefer), divided


For the apples, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add apple slices and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the maple syrup.  Simmer until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Pound pork slices until thin (1/4 inch).  In a shallow dish or plate, combine flour, salt, and pepper.  Lightly dredge pork medallions in flour mixture.   Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet pan over medium-high heat.  Add pork to pan in a single layer.  Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until the pork reaches desired level of doneness.  To serve, spoon apples over the pork medallions.


A couple of notes:
*I like to do the pork in my cast iron skillet.
*The pork usually takes me a couple of batches with the size of my pan, hence the extra oil.  Between the batches, add more oil to the pan as needed.
*If it will take a couple of batches to do the pork, turn your oven to warm and have a baking dish inside.  Remove pork from the pan to the baking dish as it is finished to keep it warm.
*This will serve 4 moderate eaters.  If you are serving big eaters, I would double the amount of pork and count on it serving 6.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Does your super picky sister have short little legs? Cuz mine does. I'm trying to narrow down what makes a picky eater become so picky. If it's not the leg-thing, though, I would like to know.
    Before I place my children on the rack.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love your comments. You make me laugh. :)

      But yes, my super picky sister does have incredibly short legs. It's quite amazing, actually. Unfortunately, though, I don't think that has anything to do with being picky. Although . . . kid are picky in general . . . and they tend to have short legs . . . maybe as their legs grow, the picky tendencies go away.

      It could very well be that because her legs never got to a normal proportion, she never out-grew her crazy picky tendencies. Hmm . . .

      Delete